It is difficult to say that one type of activity is better than another one, let alone to say one is the best. It is a bold claim, yet one that I am prepared to supoort.
Almost every form of exercise has value, however no matter how beneficial it may be without regular practice it is of little worth. Keep in mind, the number one reason people give for not being more active is, “I don’t have time,” therefore, the time factor must be given a great deal of consideration.
The BEST activity from my perspective should meet the following criteria:
- Appropriate for all ages and fitness levels.
- You can do it anywhere: in your home, at school, in your hotel room, at the park, on the beach or at the local fitness/recreation center.
- Requires little or no equipment.
- Easy to learn proper technique.
- Time efficient, total body workout in as little as 10 minutes.
- Enough variation to keep you from getting bored.
- Challenging enough to keep you motivated for a lifetime.
- Targets the main components of total body fitness: body composition, strength, endurance, balance and flexibility.
- Can do it alone, with a buddy or even in a group.
- Weather proof.
- Complements all other forms of activity.
The only activity that I have found to meet all of these requirements is body weight exercise. Does that mean that all other forms of activity are useless? Of course not, in fact you should be active in a variety of ways. If you like to lift weights, run, cycle, hike, play racket sports, or any other form of physical activity, by all means continue doing it. Just do it in conjunction with the body weight exercises taught in this program.